Raggedy Ann and Andy finished!

I have finally finished the quilt!  Cut, pieced, sewn, quilted, bound, and washed.  I’m so proud of myself!  This thing is so light and soft, and just downright adorable.  The Raggedy Ann and Andy print is 30+ years old, meaning gentle love and washing.  That may account for why it’s so incredibly soft though.

The process of making this was a great learning experience.  I figure out what techniques work best for me, how to measure properly, match corners, and what size of quilt my machine can handle.  I moved my sewing machine to my cutting table to make it easier, but it wasn’t enough.  I’ll machine quilt smaller items, but after this I’ll hand-quilt everything else.  Sure, more time and work, but less arguing and frustration for me.

Now here’s to hoping it sells soon!  You can check out details about the quilt, as well as the price, here on it’s listing at my Etsy shop.  I do ship internationally!

As for the pattern, I found it online with only descriptions.  No measurement of how much fabric would be needed, or a finished size.  Here are the details I figured out on my own.

It’s eight rows of eight squares, each square cut to 8 inches.  When sewn the squares come to 7.5 inches each.

Now I’m sort of guessing here, but the red and yellow combined are one yard.  The muslin is also one yard, which brings the print to I think one yard.  I always go with “better to have too much than not enough”.  The backing is 1.5 yards.  I purchased one yard of fabric for the binding and cut it into strips two inches wide and WOF (width of fabric) which was about 42 inches.

When I went to the fabric store and had it measured they told me I would need only 1.25 yards of fabric for the backing.  Turns out they were wrong.  I had to cut a good portion of two sides down in order to match the sizes.  That was a little disappointing, but I learned from it.

I’ll use a similar pattern next time I decide to make something this simple.  Instead of 8 inch squares I’ll instead go with 6 inch squares.  It’ll bring the size down considerably, but that will also make it significantly easier to quilt on my machine.  With the change it’ll also be less expensive for a potential buyer.

Seeing as I have finally finished this I can now work on Joanna’s quilt.  I didn’t like how it was turning out and have instead turned to using a pattern I found in a quilting book.  It’s a beginner pattern, simple, and with the fabric choices (same fabrics as before) it will look glorious!  The bit I did work on, before I improved so much with the baby quilt, will be turned into pillows, place mats or some other household items that will make this a complete set.  Nothing will be wasted.  Plus, after this is finished, I’ll have extra fabric leftover that isn’t used as well as a bunch of scraps for a future project.

Last, but not least, I now have a printer!  We’ve been without a printer for a couple years now.  Our old one broke in the summer of 2014, and getting it repaired ($150) would be more expensive than buying a new one ($100).  I printed out a lot of quilting patterns I’ve had saved on my computer, which now makes it so much easier to follow a pattern instead of running back and forth between my computer (located in my living room) and my sewing room.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s