I finished the table runner I made for Kimmy, my sister-in-law, a couple days ago and finally washed it. Washing it gave it so much life! The seams have that special puckered look so signature of quilts.
The entire top is made of charm packs and jelly rolls. It was very tricky piecing this together. I could not, for the life of me, get things to line up properly. Then again this is one of my first quilts. There’s no reason to kick myself about that.
I had underestimated the amount of binding I would need. I thought two jelly roll strips would be enough, but instead it required 2.5 strips. I didn’t have three of the same colors so I added a different strip. On one half there’s a black print and the other half a white print. My husband couldn’t see the difference until I pointed it out to him.
You can see it more clearly here. They blend well with one another, and both halves match the fabrics in the rest of the table runner. It looks pretty awesome IMHO, but I’m also pretty biased.
Kimmy’s favorite color is orange, but I didn’t want to make a 100% orange/earth tone runner. That would have looked rather blah. Instead I used her favorite color and added an extra something to make it stand out without being an eye sore. The backing is, of course, pretty orange and red butterflies on a white background.
I had originally planned on hand quilting this, but the machine my mother bought me has a table as well as accessories for machine quilting. I decided to use experiment with that. The results are great! Plus it saved me HOURS of work. I won’t be using the machine option all the time, though, because I love hand-quilting.
Here’s the finished runner in all its glory. I used a free pattern I found only. You can find it here. I plan on using this pattern again at a later date when I’ve improved my skills. It’ll be a great way to see how far I’ve come.